Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Anecdotes

Having given a basic overview of the majority of the events and some basics about my life here I have decided this would be a good place to share a few anecdotes about moments lost in translation and various notes about life in a country where no one understands you.
Firstly, everyone is always making fun of you. At least I assume, who knows what they are really saying, certainly not me, but I feel like every time I go out and order a cafe con leche (coffee with milk) I see a slight twinkle in the eye of the patron as if to say, "nice try buster, you may know two words but you are about as spanish as japanimation or ice water" (don't ask for it here, they'll look at you funny and spit in your face. Alright not really, that was exaggeration for comic affect). I try to keep my chin up when possible (also because I'd rather look at the sky then the street, which is routinely covered with preprocessed dog digestables (feces) which disgusts me but also makes me smile to myself (America may not do everything right but if there is dog refuse on the street someone is going to pay, and pay dearly.)
I've been running a few time and realized that no one really works out here in spain, and really the spanish peoples health confuses me completely the more I learn about it. Half the population smokes, they never exercise, and they only thing they consume more than wine is olive oil, which they drink by the gallon and bath in daily. Alright that last bit was hyperbole too, but they do fry a lot of fish in it and they have a longer life expectancy than in the united states, higher standard of living, and lower obesity and coronary disease than almost anywhere. My theory is that the spanish are all secretly witches and have used their evil magical powers to grant themselves health and long life at the expense of Americans who have been cursed with the opposite. I have no basis for this theory except a hunch and the fact that I have seen my senora use a broom at least twice. For flying! Ok that wasn't true either, and the health stuff is probably by virtue of the fact that they eat very few saturated fats. Though i remain sceptical. I might begin Inquiries to whether witch craft is present here in spain, perhaps I will give it a clever name like the Inquisition of witchcraft in the lands controlled by the Spanish people. Yeah spain needs one of those. (There's a hidden message there that references spain's past if you look closely)
Anywho, there isn't too much more new to say about spain these days. As much as I joke I do feel like I am picking up a few things and actually using the past tense if I'm feeling adventurous. One strange thing is I sometimes feel like I am less able to speak in english after i've been trying to understand spanish for a while, as if my brain can only hold one language at a time, but I am certainly improving, though very absurdly, painfully slowly. I hope you are well as always grandma keep me posted on any fun family stuff and I'll try to keep these posts regular. Sorry for the silly jokes and references to refuse, I try to keep my posts informative and classy, but sometimes my youth and immaturity get the best of me. This is a picture I took from the bridge near my house. The buildings here really are quite lovely.

No comments: