Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Quick Recap

January 8th

In the last 24 hours I have spent 10 hours in a plane, 6 hours waiting for a plane, 5 hours in a bus station with a Romanian construction worker, 3 hours on a bus I wasn’t sure would bring me to Sevilla until I got off the and saw the name of the station, been propositioned by a gypsy,which took very little time to decline, and realized that the only Spanish I know is the names of various items in a living room and how to use them one at a time in the present tense. I am at least encouraged by the fact that when I address someone in Spanish they reply in Spanish unlike in France where my attempts were always met with a scoff and a broken English variation of “what you want?”. Whether that has to do with my illusion of a grasp of the language or the fact that the Spanish know less English than the French, I can’t say. Perhaps no one can. All I know is that I definitely can’t speak Romanian and I’m sorry to Georsh (maybe?) who really wanted me to. More to come as time forces things to happen.

~David Greenslade

No comments: