Friday, January 11, 2008

Cell Phones

In spain, as in the united states, there are a number of options for purchasing a cell phone. If you live in a place, you can buy a contract and get a phone for free, but if you are visiting for, say, four months and some change then what you want is a pre paid phone. In this case, you by a phone for about forty or fifty euros and they give you a sim card with a phone number that you can put money on and which they remove money from when you talk on your phone. Its complicated and a bit expensive but as foreigners we have few options and its better than being tortured or killed as they did in the roman times, did you know spain was one of rome's most most important colonies. A spanish man told me and why would would he lie? Anyway While buying a phone I realized three things.

1. If use my old phone I brought I can save money by only having to by a new sim card, a card with a number and which connects me to a service provider

2. My phone is locked and only works with my american provider so #1 is impossible

3. If I buy a new phone I can use it in the states with a cingular sim card and I can justify the cost of a few euro for a phone

These were the realizations but the order of the realizations was, unfortunately #3, #1, and lastly #2. So the events were as follows. David buys phone to use in spain, david realizes he can save money by using his old phone and sells his phone to a friend for less than he paid for it, david realizes his plan is flawed because his phone is locked and he just lost money instead of saving it. David finally hurls himself into the river because that is what desperate and stupid people do.

One of those did not actually occur and I leave it to your discretion to decide which. My next post will discuss my host family, which is really wonderful, but this is too long already so we will save it for another day. Hey grandma, I hope you are well, they feed me a lot and pity me for my stupidity. Hasta luego

No comments: